WWDC 2006

Is anyone else unimpressed with Apple’s WWDC announcements today? They’re cool, I guess, but there was no real bang. Certainly no surprise. I suppose if I had a Mac, I might be excited about some of the Leopard details, but none of them seem especially groundbreaking to me. The Mac Pro was not only rumored for weeks, but doesn’t seem especially spectacular or surprising. (Let’s see, Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini.. Hmm.. What else could they transition to Intel?)

Okay, 16GB of RAM and 2TB of disk in a desktop is pretty impressive. But.. I dunno. What am I missing?

Comments (6)

1. Rob wrote::

Well they haven’t released all the info on Leopard yet, and we all knew that the Mac Pro and Xserve would be Intel this week. Steve’s performance was lackluster. My guess is that Apple has something else up there sleeve to really “wow” everyone. Possibly the new iPod of iChat mobile? Who knows, but I can’t imagine that Apple would just leave things where they are now.

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 at 07:12 #
  2. Logan wrote::

Well, yeah, they’re not going to leave things like this forever. There’ll be other product releases and other announcements and whatnot down the road. But if it was major and it was going to be announced at WWDC, it would have been yesterday. The perennial rumors like the softwheel iPod and the iPhone are just going to have to wait for another year.

But I’m surprised there wasn’t anything surprising. In 2005, Jobs announced the biggest Mac news in 20 years: the transition to Intel. But I guess that was unusual. There was nothing significant in 2004, either.

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 at 07:23 #
  3. Rob wrote::

This year Apple has made announcements and releases that don’t follow their normal patterns. WWDC ends the 11th. We me yet hear some big news. Then again, maybe not, but let’s hope we do.

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 at 08:13 #
  4. khatt wrote::

Maybe they will let me trade in my g5 powermac for a mac pro. For free.

Nah… I still like it but the Intel sure would be useful.

Sorry, I have nothing to add to this, although I agree not very exciting. And I bet all the ipod accessory people were on pins and needles waiting to see what crap they would have to get into production ASAP, and they got nothing.

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 at 20:54 #
  5. Rob wrote::

Guess nothing else came out of it. Kind of dissapointing, though the Mac Pro does look REALLY nice.

Friday, August 11, 2006 at 07:31 #
  6. spinn wrote::

You’re missing the POWER and the ELEGANCE and the HAPPINESS and the RAINBOWS and the KITTENS and ah hell I just can’t work up a believer froth like I used to.

Friday, August 11, 2006 at 10:14 #