December 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Star Wars: The Force Awakens had a pretty big opening weekend. It broke the records for domestic opening weekend ($247.9M, over Jurassic World‘s 208.8M) and worldwide ($529M, also breaking Jurassic World‘s 524.9M). But that’s not all.
- Largest Thursday “preview” day
- Largest Friday, largest opening day, largest single day
- (Not the largest Saturday, it was 3rd, behind the first Avengers movie and Jurassic World
- Largest Sunday
- Largest Monday (in this case breaking Spiderman 2‘s 11-year-old record)
- Highest per-theater average (this record is probably the craziest — it broke Jurassic World‘s previous record by 22%)
- Fastest movie to $100M (in fact, the very first movie to break 100M in one day, so this record will never be broken, only tied) and the fastest to $250M
- Largest domestic and global IMAX weekends
- Biggest December opening weekend (by a factor of 3! $248M, compared to the previous record was the first Hobbit at 85M)
There are more, too, but they’re all implied by the above ones (largest PG-13 opening weekend! Largest holiday weekend!).
And for the record, my review:
September 21, 2011 12:42 pm
The following records have been set in the first two weeks of the 2011 NFL season:
- Most total yards passing in a game by both teams – Brady and Henne, week 1 (906)
- Most yards passing by a rookie – Newton tied it week 1 (422) and then broke it week 2 (432)
- Most yards passing in the first two weeks of a season – Newton (854), and then a couple hours later Brady broke it (940)
- Most total touchdowns by all teams in the first two weeks of a season (172)
- Most total passing yards by all teams in the first two weeks of a season (15,771)
- Most consecutive 400+ yard passing games – Newton and Brady tied it at 2
- Most QBs with 300+ yard passing games in one weekend – week 1 (14)
- Longest field goal – tied by Janikowski (63 yards) week 1
- Most penalties by both teams in a single game – Raiders vs Broncos (25)
There’s more if you count near-records. Brady’s week 1 performance of 516 passing yards was a team record and a Monday Night record, but only the fifth-best ever. And his 940 passing yards over two games was the most in the first two weeks of a season, but was five yards short of the record for any two consecutive games.
So far, a weird high-scoring season. It’ll be left to be seen if this is just a result of the shortened offseason (thanks to the lockout), or bigger strategic changes across the league.